On July 8, Jenny Kwan resigned as MLA for Vancouver-Mount PLeasant and August 14, Douglas Horne resigned as MLA for Coquitlam-Burke Mountain. Both ran in the October federal election; Kwan was successful.
Tuesday, Premier Clark got around to calling by-elections to fill the two vacancies. For one, she had three days to spare since the BC Constitution Act specifies a by-election must be called within six months of a seat in the Legislature becoming vacant.
Perhaps Premier Clark’s by-election strategy will follow that used in 2015 by Stephen Harper, her political soulmate. In that case, her candidates will go into hiding and there will be no opportunities for questions.
|Joan Isaacs & Gavin Dew|
If Ms. Isaacs, a former mutual fund salesperson, and Mr. Dew, a spin doctor who’s been working on behalf of Kinder Morgan’s project to ship dilbit through Burrard Inlet, appear in public forums, here are a few enquiries that could be posed to them:
- Why is the Liberal government allowing Shawnigan Lake’s drinking water to be poisoned?
- Why is the Liberal environment minister refusing to be interviewed about Shawnigan contamination?
- Why should BC Hydro spend $10 to $20 billion for unneeded electricity?
- Are you happy with provincial debt and contractual obligations that are budgeted to rise above $170 billion by 2017/18?
- Why not halt Site C until court cases proceed?
- Why make new IPP contracts 3x market price for unneeded power?
- Why pay IPPs double the price BC Hydro sells power to industry?
- Why secretly subsidize industry through BC Hydro instead of making the supports part of the BC budget?
- Are you in favour of the BC Public Sector (schools, hospitals etc) spending $millions to purchase dubious carbon offsets?
- Why charge same MSP premium to person with $30,001 annual income as a person with $2 million income?
- Why has disability assistance been frozen since June 1, 2007?
- Why sell Burke Mountain Land to Liberal contributors for $43 million less than assessed value?
- Why did BC Liberals allow Queen of Chilliwack to be sold for a pittance two years after a $17 million refit?
- Why fire health researchers w/o justification, then pay them off with taxpayer’s dollars and require their silence as part of the settlement?
- Why pay BC Liberal cronies huge fees to conduct “independent” examinations of wrongdoing by the BC Liberal government?
- Why have Liberals ignored the duty to document business of government?
- Why allow governing politicians to take cash from companies they regulate?
- Since you chose to run for BC Liberals, can you be trusted?
I invite readers to submit additional questions that Liberal candidates might be asked if they appear in open forums. I’ll add them to the body of this article.
Categories: BC Liberals