. . . that 200-odd group of terrorists who came to Victoria from across Canada to interrupt the games. Anyone who could support this group should be ashamed of themselves.. . . They do not understand, these terrorists, the potential goodwill and economic benefits that come from these games, because they have a limited intellect and do not understand how the world truly operates.
Well, Mr. Harry is an MLA of long experience so he understands how the world operates and probably has a superior intellect. Needing to learn about terrorism, I read through his recent contributions to Legislative debates, expecting other impressive analysis. Here are some excerpts from Hansard:
- Hon. Speaker, thank you for the opportunity to once again wear my scout uniform into the House. (Feb 19/09)
- I was going to speak of the great seniors from my riding, but today I’m going to speak about my dad. . . (Feb 26/09)
- I look forward to working with all sides of the House to increase our population in Canada . . (Mar 11/09)
- . . . Yesterday Simon Fraser University beat the University of Alberta in the championship game and won the much coveted trophy called “Bronze Baby.” (Mar 12/09)
- . . . projects such as the Evergreen line, which I have supported from the very beginning. I’ve been there for the Evergreen line. . . This new line — they’ve already opened the project office for it. It’s ready to go. (Mar 26/09)
- I wouldn’t have been able to do this without the support of my wife Anita and our children — my son Jeremy and his wife Jennifer and now our grandson James, who is quite an amazing little boy at 11 months of age. He’s walking and running. Not quite, but we’re working on it, anyway. . . (Mar 26/09)
- Wow, what a great summer we had in British Columbia. . . (Aug 26/09)
Well, that didn’t help so much so I looked elsewhere for advice on how citizens, even those who yawn at the Olympics, can defend against mayhem in the face of clear and present danger.
Maybe these words from the wise President George W. Bush can guide us:
People say, ‘How can I help on this war against terror? How can I fight evil?’ You can do so by mentoring a child; by going into a shut-in’s house and say I love you.”
— Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2002
Golly, if I can find a shut-in child that needs mentoring, that could earn 2 for 1 credit.