Auditor General John Doyle, MBA, CA, submitted his third report of the fiscal year to the Legislature, Conservation of Ecological Integrity in B.C. Parks and Protected Areas. Mr. Doyle is precise and unequivocal. He lauds the objective but faults the execution. The Liberals, who continually vaunt their skills as managers, again demonstrate that incompetence is the sad reality.
“The Ministry of Environment has a vision to, “create the best park system in the world” and a goal to be recognized for its leadership in the proactive stewardship of ecological integrity. Currently, the ministry is not successfully meeting this goal.
- program plans are incomplete and lack adequate performance measures;
- conservation policies are not being consistently upheld;
- the parks and protected area system has not been designed to ensure ecological integrity;
- management plans are dated and incomplete; and
- little action has been taken to ensure the conservation of ecological integrity.
“We also found that the ministry is not publicly reporting on its progress in conserving ecological integrity in the province’s parks and protected areas system.”
Indeed, this devastating report should result in the immediate resignation of Environment Minister Barry Penner, shown here with a staff member reviewing completion of the Phil Gaglardi memorial gardens in Oliver.
Categories: Gordon Campbell