BC Liberals selected Bruce McDonald as their candidate in Delta South, the riding held by independent Vicki Huntington. The incumbent MLA says her opponent is “an adamant and unapologetic supporter of Liberal government policies.” McDonald told Robyn Smith of The Tyee that when events come down to a position of principle and ethics, “You have to be prepared to walk away.”
Now there is a circle that cannot be squared. McDonald is an unapologetic supporter of the Liberals but implies he would walk away if he noted any affront to principle and ethics. So, why is he not walking right now? Has he not noticed any matters of principle and ethics in the last dozen years?
- Not Premier Gordon Campbell being jailed for criminal behaviour while visiting Hawaii and not resigning?
- Not BC Rail being corruptly delivered to one of Campbell’s pals to have and to hold for 990 years while $6 million was paid to Basi and Virk as an inducement, along with wrist-slap sentences, to end their criminal trial before senior Liberals were called to testify about how the railway deals came to be?
- Not BC Hydro being pointed toward bankruptcy by backroom deals for private power it doesn’t need and cannot afford?
- Not the conversion of South Delta farmland for the sake of industrial development and road construction, with huge profits earned by connected land speculators, not farmers.
- Not the sweetheart deals with foreign contractors to build roads and bridges at triple the cost of earlier bridge and freeway construction after accounting for inflation?
- Not Minister of Graft and Corruption Coleman cutting deals behind close doors to give away millions in tax dollars to people writing cheques in return?
- Not Pavco doing a backroom casino deal with impecunious Liberal friends while competitors with financial wherewithal were forced to the sidelines?
- Not spending millions of public funds for partisan advertising favouring the BC Liberal Party and using taxpayer funded legislative staff and facilities during regular office hours for Liberal electioneering?
I expect that Delta South residents will vote for Vicki Huntington, an MLA focused on issues important to the riding. Whether it involves coal dust pollution, the loss of thousands of acres of prime farmland to port expansion, highways and industrialization, river dredging and flood control, democratic reform, or other issues, Ms. Huntington cannot be told by party leaders to stay quiet.
Had we 20 more independent MLA’s like her, good government would be assured no matter which party forms government in May.
Categories: BC Liberals