This 2001 BC Liberal platform document, A New Era for British Columbia is no longer easily found. BC Liberals prefer it to be forgotten. I found one copy in the legislative library that had been condensed from 36 pages to 12. However, the full document, which I found at the University of Laval in Quebec, makes interesting reading, particularly parts that promise:
- The most open, accountable and democratic government in Canada.
- Better services for children, families & First Nations.
- Stop the endless bureaucratic restructuring that has drained resources from children and family services.
- Restore open tendering on government contracts . . .
- . . . eliminating wasteful spending on government mismanagement, propaganda . . .
- Not sell or privatize BC Rail.
- Restore consumers’ right to Hydro rates that are independently set by the B.C. Utilities Commission, and not artificially inflated by government interference.
- . . . outlaw provincial government “offloading” of costs onto municipal governments
- Hold the line on court fees and probate fees, to ensure that no British Columbian is denied their right of access to our justice system because of onerous costs.
- Protect and preserve Burns Bog.
Categories: BC Liberals